Thursday, January 20, 2011

SEWING * SEWING * SEWING * SEWING * SEWING * SEWING!!!

I love all the parts of sewing. I love wandering through fabric stores, feeling all the fabric and gorging my eyes on all the colors and textures, I love going through pattern books, and opening up a new pattern. I love pinning on the pattern tissue, cutting out the fabric, unpinning the tissue and sewing the pieces of fabric together. I love the sewing machine and serger. I love the hum they make when you have to make a long seam. January is sew everyday month for me, and I've sewn every day except for 2. Here's what's been keeping me busy:
The purple nightgown is finished. If you recall, I'd cut it out a week ago, so one night I decided to sew on it, and finished it that night! I changed the yolk to an open style lined with white trim, rather than the buttons. I also sewed on the yolk without inserting said trim first, and rather than take it all apart, I just topstitched the trim onto the seam. I think it looks great, and can't wait to wear it.

Then I worked on the cherries jacket.
I didn't have quite enough ric rac to complete it, and just have to trim the bottom with the ric rac I bought the other day, and it will be ready to wear. I love the big red button at the top, too.
Last but not least I made my first Vogue pattern! I wore it last night to movie night, and it kept me toasty warm. It's a longer hooded jacket of blue fleece with off white pockets and hood trim and embellished with butterflies. I have one more butterfly to add onto the back, and it will be good to go.
So tonight's work is cut out for me. Finish the ric rac on the cherries jacket, add another butterfly to the blue jacket, and start the red white and blue fleece throw which will be a gift for my friend Linda's au pair, who has just become a U.S. citizen. There's a red white and blue party for her on Saturday at Linda's house. How perfect is this?


No comments: