Saturday, January 8, 2011

CLOSET ACCOUNTABILITY * FROM MESS TO SUCCESS

It's so sad that my font is back to black! It's because I have so much crap piled up on my closet shelves that I never switched officially from summer to winter on the shelves or with the shoes on the floor that I'm not going to show. Here's the dirty little secret:I'm going downstairs to eat now. It's 2:10. My plan is to read the paper and eat and be done by 2:30. Back upstairs to spend 1 hour in that closet. And to get rid of 20 of those items. Out of there. I don't know where they'll go, but I'll try to get things out that I never wear. Maybe they will go into the back bedroom closet in the space where the fabric was! I hope not. At 3:30, I want to be immersed in fleece embellishing.

OK, I went downstairs, had a quesadilla with swiss cheese/
mayo/pine nuts, read the paper, and was only 15 minutes behind schedule. Came upstairs, put on my iTunes full volume in the office, and emptied the shelves:
This is not easy for me. However, I do have 12 items going out. I hope permanently, but then I think....I could use this cotton as a lining for one of those sweater purses I plan to make. And I don't like the lining in the one I have, I could change it out. Will I, though? Especially since I have real lining fabric in the stash. ANYWAY, it's 3:40, I'm 10 minutes behind schedule, and half the job is complete:
To me this is still a messy looking closet. There are way too many tee shirts. Going all the way back to college daze. Maybe one of these days I'll make a plan for how to part with them. They are nothing special. Almost all 50/50 cotton and pretty beat up. I wish my nieces would come and think they are cool and wear them. You know that's not going to happen, though. I showed them to Peter one day. No go. Maybe I'll pull them out one day, take pictures of them one by one, and post the pictures here with the story behind the shirt. These stories will not be interesting, but then maybe I could part with the tee shirts. OK, now it's almost 10 to 4 so I'm 20 minutes behind schedule and there is another section to go. Here goes. I hope I can find 8 more things to give away.

It's now 4:35, an hour and five minutes past my deadline. However, the second part of my closet project is complete:
This is going to feel so great when I need something on those shelves. I think I'll work on the floor tomorrow. Right now I'm going to use the waning light to look at all my fleece patterns and fleece and get going on the fleece jacket.

For me there is nothing like order. Order from chaos might be good for some, but I like constant order. I'm really trying to get there again.


No comments: