Sunday, January 23, 2011

GETTING MY KITCHEN BACK

On Friday I spent the entire day getting my kitchen back. It had been taken over by paper, paper, more paper, and general mess. Let's just keep this short and sweet:
Here's my desk BEFORE:
Here's my desk AFTER:Here's the Peninsula BEFORE:I had done some pre-clearing in the peninsula area because it had been covered with Steve's papers, and before I could do a thing, he had to move them. This AFTER picture isn't perfect. On the windowsill are homemade thank you notes from my two nieces with special drawings just for me. I'll enjoy those for a few days then put them away. Also there is an extra pan on the stove. I made Butternut Squash soup (yum) for the cold day. The tea kettle is permanent. I love that thing. To me it's art. I'm not big on the fish tank, but Steve loves it. If Steve sees an empty surface or space, he thinks it's his duty and right to fill it up. With anything.

Here's the Peninsula AFTER:
Here's the Workspace Corner BEFORE:Every morning I find the workspace corner uncleared. This particular mess is my own, though. The Lazy Susan cabinet door has been off its hinges for months now. I've asked Steve to repair it so many times I've lost count. I've asked him nicely, not so nicely, bitchily, more bitchily than that, and then I tried nicely again. I've had the door in the other room and left it open for a couple of months, and I've put the hinges right inside the cabinet where he can see them. He claims he can't do the job without calling a help line, so therefore can only do the job Monday through Friday during business hours. And that he doesn't know where the piece of paper with the phone number is. This is all my fault, too. (according to Steve)(Whoa, that's putting my heart you know where!)
Look who's wearing her cherries house jacket! By the way, Steve broke another tea pot. He always breaks the white or black or black and white ones
that I buy, and this 25 year old yellow one from Mexico comes back into play. It's indestructible. Here's a gift idea for us. "We" need a new teapot, black, white or an approved-by-me black and white one that will match our kitchen. It also has to be large. Steve makes gallons of tea every single day.

Here's the Workspace Corner AFTER:

Last but not least, here's what I see when I walk into the kitchen: YEA!
It's so easy to take care of a room with cleared off surfaces. It stays cleaner, and gets cleaned more often. And it helps your mind to be clear. It helps you to think. It keeps you calm. Clear surfaces are one of my favorite things. I'm actually inspired to change out the fabric on the counter stools, now. I think I'll go find some fabric and the staple gun and get going on that in the next day or so. Stay tuned for another BEFORE and AFTER project here at HHOHS!

No comments: