Thursday, August 5, 2010

THE THREE WEISSMANNS OF WESTPORT


The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine - Since we were traveling to Fairfield, I thought this would be a good geographical tie-in to our vacation, since Westport is a couple of towns away. Vacation is where a good book is as necessary as air. Important in the airport, on the plane, to get to sleep at night and to gently greet a new and unknown day. The Three Weissmanns is about a 75 year old woman and her two 48 and 52ish year old daughters who decide to share a cottage in Westport, Connecticut after the mom is gently, but essentially thrown out of her Central Park West Apartment after more than 50 years of marriage, because her husband has taken up with another woman. The writing is rather blunt, the characters somehow sweet - even the bad ones. If you want a mindless sort of beach read, then this may do the job for you, (and the cover is nice, right?) otherwise, I can't think of a reason to read this book, including the one I had.

OK, that was harsh, but the next book I read was so amazing, that I can't help myself. Apologies to those who will find this to be a deep and meaningful read.

No comments: