Saturday, August 14, 2010

UNUSUAL BEACHWALKING IN CONNECTICUT

This is the first sign you see when you go to the beach down the street from my brother's house in Connecticut. I love the beach. Doesn't matter where it is, and as the years go by, it doesn't matter if it doesn't have perfect sand (although I'm so glad that our beach does). Any beach is good for a beach walk, any day. This Long Island Sound beach is very natural and messy. It's not the most comfortable barefoot beach in the world, but I've been to worse. Here it is:On this day, when I got there, I noticed that there were these weird round things in the sand, three in a row...I decided they must be the bottoms of plastic liter bottles, and that someone must have used them to decorate a sand castle or something like that, but then didn't discard them. Next I saw some beautiful seaweed:As I continued to stroll, I saw more and more of the plastic bottle things, and they were shimmery and had different colors in them. I went over to the two young lifeguards to ask them what those clear blobs on the beach were. They had no idea what I was talking about, so they followed me down to the water line (we were the only ones on the beach that morning besides a couple of moms with two little kids) to see what I was talking about. It turns out, they were jellyfish, and the boys had never seen so many at one time before. They were so cool. We touched their jelly like surface for a moment just because we could. And then we kept our distance. They were beautiful and scary and captivating.

No comments: