Thursday, August 19, 2010

ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK

Orange is the New Black My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman - More than 10 years after she carried some drug money for her lover, Piper Kerman was incarcerated for 13 months in a Federal Women's Prison in Connecticut. Her past caught up with her, and she made the best of it, leaving no detail unexplained throughout the story. It's a good book....Piper's voice is open and approachable, and honest about the shortcomings of the prison system in America. It's probably better than the prison systems in other countries around the world, but there is much much room for improvement. I wish that she would write a follow up book about her fellow inmates, all of whom we get to know and like. I want to pull for these women who made big mistakes.

Today is bead group and I'm running late, and there is so much to do that I don't know where to start. Maybe I'll check my Scrabble boards with Joanie - when in doubt, avoid and escape!

No comments: