Monday, August 9, 2010

THE ELEGANCE OF THE HEDGEHOG * HOME

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery - Every once in a while I come across an existentialist story, and it always takes a minute to get into it. When I do get into it, though, it becomes a book that must be read no matter what. Existentialism is to me a very french concept, and this story appropriately takes place in Paris. It's about Renee, the concierge of an elegant private apartment building and also about one of the building's residents, 12 year old Paloma. Their lives are somehow parallel, and I grew to love each of them in a special way, especially once Kakuro Ozu enters the picture. And Kakuro is one of the most simply and beautifully written characters you'll ever meet.

Home by Marilynne Robinson - I liked the cover. Home is about the goodness of the bad boy. It takes place in the early 1950s (I love 20th century stories), and in the home of a retired minister. Two of his 8 or 10 grown children find their way home one summer to rest and regroup. Glory is the perpetual good girl, youngest child and serious and responsible. Jack is the prodigal son who disappeared for 20 years. It's kind of religious in a serious Christian way. Reads slow but steady. If they make a movie out of this, I'll probably fall asleep. There would be no way to give it energy. The realized goodness of the mysterious bad boy. Can you tell whether or not I liked this book? I can't, except for the fact that I wanted to finish it.

No comments: