Tuesday, August 24, 2010

THE PARTICULAR SADNESS OF LEMON CAKE

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender - Who wouldn't want to read a book with this title? This is a story about a girl who discovers that she has a special ability. She learns how to deal with it, cope with it, live with it, but life is always different for her because of it. We accompany Rose and her family and friends from her 9 year old self to her young adulthood in a story about how emotions are revealed and not revealed.
After reading this book, which I highly recommend, you'll never again look at a card table chair the same way.

I've been playing Scrabble on Facebook nonstop, and I'm not ready to say this has got to stop. I've got 3 games going with my sister-in-law in CT and one game with a tough competitor I met at a garage sale last weekend. I'm holding my own, but words on signs are not rearranging themselves randomly everywhere I go like they did in Word Wars. I think the fact that I do the daily Jumble helped me to get up to speed quickly, after not playing for a long time. We're probably averaging 300 points per game, and I hope that we can all lift that to 400. I'll probably have to get out some word lists and start studying.

It's another perfect day outside, and it's only 10:15 in the morning, and my whole house is up for grabs. My plan is to complete an upstairs straighten and cleaning by noon. If I post before pictures, it will take too much time, so I'm just going to get going. Each time I complete a room, I'll allow myself a turn at Scrabble, providing my opponents have taken their turns. Here goes.......
After proofing this post, I've decided to take the Before pictures after all, but not post them until After. Maybe.

No comments: