Tuesday, August 10, 2010

FOYER DECORATING

On the Friday that I bought the wicker table, I'd spotted an interesting little dresser in the bedroom at the same house. It was priced high. Too rich for my blood that day, and I really had to go home and measure anyway. I thought it might look good in my foyer, and that I would replace this dresser that's been next to the front door for awhile:
It's pretty, but I was tired of it. Tired of the curvy lines, tired of the basket of fruit, tired of the fact that it was a new piece that looked old, rather than a piece that was really old, or a new piece that looked new. Like something modern in black or silver. I came home and measured the wall, and pondered the price. I wanted to offer less than half, and settle at half or just under. It was missing a couple of trim pieces which were barely noticeable, and which were in the drawers so that it could be repaired.

On Saturday afternoon, I went back. Would the pretty little dresser still be there? Tons of people were going through that sale! On my way in, I saw someone loading small dresser drawers into a car. Oh, no, I'd waited too long. It was gone. But I went in, and turned toward the bedrooms, and there it was. The unattractive basket that had decorated it the day before was gone, and they'd moved it to a spot where you saw it the minute you turned into the hallway. I asked if there had been any offers, and the guy said no, but two people were returning to see it that afternoon. My heart was beating as I studied it to make sure it was exactly what I wanted. I looked in the drawers for those spare trim pieces, and they were gone! It turns out that one disappeared, and the other one was at the cashier's desk. I asked who was taking offers, and found out it was Jim. "Jim, that trim piece is missing. What are we going to do about this?" I followed Jim down the hall as he criticized the little dresser. "That old thing - it's not worth a cent - who would want it?" (he was doing my negotiating for me!) We got to the dresser, and he said "What's your unreasonable offer? Make your unreasonable offer and we'll see." So I thought fast and made my unreasonable offer (less than a third of asking). And he said.......

"OK" "but you have to carry it out of here". And I didn't becau
se Jim and his crew are so nice that one of his helpers had the dresser out the door and waiting for me in the driveway when I backed my car in to pick it up. So here it is:
Except, Wait! My old mirror looks wrong with the dresser. It's too something, and too big and the wrong color. I decided that I want a round mirror over this dresser to balance the rectangularity of it. Or maybe a sunburst mirror! Even though I want to get away from gold decor, maybe a gold sunburst would look better than a silver one. I went Craigslisting for round mirrors last night, and then googling for sunburst mirrors, and it turns out that sunburst mirrors are all the rage right now. All the rage. There happened to be one at TJ's today, so I brought it home even though I wasn't in love with it to see how it looked scale-wise. And I can't decide. It's the wrong color, too heavy looking, and too something else. Here's how it looks:
What do you think? Maybe I need an oval....Something modernish. Hmmm..... Or a sunburst still, but one that's open and not so heavy. The search is on.

No comments: