Sunday, January 31, 2010

BYZANTINE NECKLACE * DEEP BLUE MEDITERRANEAN BRACELET * GOLDEN GREECE BRACELET


The Byzantine Necklace is named for the designs on its unique clasp. When I was last in Greece, I spent a lot of time in the jewelry stores (of course, right?) and in an older shop near Kolonaki in Athens, the young jeweler showed me a catalog of 100 year old designs. He would go through the book and remake the Byzantine designs on new pieces of jewelry in 18 karat gold. I vowed to shop carefully on my limited budget, and in Crete found myself a lovely "Hercules Knot" ring with Marguerita (daisy) designs on it. Byzantine.
When I saw this clasp, it's decorative geometrical design spoke Byzantine to me, and I decided to let the clasp lead me to the beads. Deep purple amethyst in natural shapes are interspersed with carnival crystal roundels. The carnival colors are gold and purple - the perfect way to tie the amethyst to the clasp. Simple, dressy, classic, with just a few purple velvet swarovski crystals to compliment the vintage button custom clasp set in Sterling Silver.

I also completed two great bracelets:
The Golden Greece Bracelet is composed of white freshwater pearls, bali silver beads and large golden crystal roundels. Twisted Sterling Silver toggle clasp.

The Deep Blue Mediterranean Bracelet is deep blue and rich. The shine is subtly enhanced by the deep blue fresh water pearls nestled betwee
n dark blue roundel crystals. Twisted Sterling Silver toggle clasp.

No comments: