Friday, January 8, 2010

JEWELRY BY DIANNE SOPHIA * CHARIOT RACER NECKLACE

The ancient equestrian sport of chariot racing was added to the Olympic games in 680 BC, expanding the games from a one day to two day event. I can always tell when I'm in a greek home because there will often be a vase, plate or bowl with a black background and red designs often depicting a chariot racer and his team of four horses. We had a plate with this image on it. So when I spotted this pendant depicting the same image, I knew that I would pair it with beads in shades of red and gold. The faceted round Red Agate beads have the colors and tones to evoke the ancient colors. They are set off individually by matching swarovski crystals, and Bali sterling silver. A simple sterling silver clasp is reminiscent of the type of clasp that might have been used in ancient times.

No comments: