Wednesday, January 20, 2010

TEN THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU * YES MAN

Ten Things I Hate About You - I finally watched this 1999 movie last night. Only 10 years late. The trailers always looked good, but then I'd read that it's a remake of Shakesphere's Taming of the Shrew set in a modern day high school, and say maybe another day. As I watched, I was convinced that the actor playing the wild guy who gets the taming job was a younger Aiden from Sex and the City. Same smile, same shape of face, same voice. You know, something about him. Come to find out at the end of the movie that it was Heath Ledger. Maybe it's time to watch all of Heath's movies. If you like the high school genre, this is a sweet one. Oh, and the boy who plays the kid who wants to date the younger sister is the guy who is the lead in 500 Days of Summer.

Yes Man - A long time ago when Jim Carrey came onto the movie scene in Mask, I tried to watch it, thought it was awful, and put it at the very bottom of my list. No story, just this person stretching his face and being really hyper. I can get that at home. I kept trying to watch Carrey's movies (all those great reviews) and could never finish one - they were all the same. Silly, hyper, creepy. And actually although I liked Yes Man, I didn't finish this one either (fell asleep)! The premise is good, though, and he's not so hyper anymore, there are some really funny scenes, and Steve and Peter enjoyed it. So yeah, if you need a movie to watch this month, and 10 Things and the others I've liked aren't On Demand, then Yes Man might be a good choice.

No comments: