Tuesday, January 19, 2010

PEAR NECKLACE


When I was a little girl, my grandparents had the most fantastic garden at their house in Detroit. My grandfather's section was next to the garage, and he grew farm plants....fruits and vegetables and I remember you could hardly go in there it was so wild and green. My grandmother's garden was neat and organized, and ran along the fences on either side of the yard. She had phlox, peonies, hosta, shasta daisies, and roses. I'd give anything to have pictures of the plants and the line up. On the side of the house were the lilies of the valley. Still my absolute favorites. They also had a pear tree somewhere in the yard, because I remember the most delicious pears. We'd sit on the metal chairs that were always propped against the big tree in the yard, and my grandmother would use a paring knife to cut up the pear for us.
A few years ago, in Mexico, I bought a lovely glass pear, and when I showed it to my mother in law, she said "Psomi, tiri, kai axlathi"....bread, cheese and pear. This was a saying that her mother and grandmother used to say, and I guess it was a meal that they'd eat as well.
When I saw the pear clasp, I knew that I'd
make a necklace about pears. Then, when shopping for beads, I spotted these colorful coin beads and asked the vendor what they were. "Pear Jasper" he said, (in what I thought was pretty clear english). I had to have them for the pear clasp. Only it turns out that they are really "Imperial Jasper".
The necklace is lovely. I paired the "pear" jaspe
r with colorful freshwater pearls, and gave the necklace three strands. By the time it makes it to the show, it might have a couple of dangles on either side of the clasp as well. The clasp is a vintage button which is set into a Sterling Silver base.

No comments: