Saturday, January 9, 2010

THE POOL

The Pool - This movie was a 2007 Sundance film festival winner with a Special Dramatic Jury Prize, so I dvr'd it the other day, and watched last night. It's about Venkatesh and Jhangir, two boys from a small town in India who work in the city of Panjim. Venkatesh is fascinated by a swimming pool in which the owners never swim. The story unfolds sweetly....who are these boys? who are the people that Venkatesh watches? How can boys live and work alone in a big city? Why couldn't they stay in their village? What's with the girl in the story? A wonderful soundtrack gives it another Indian dimension. Somehow living in Panjim doesn't seem like the worst fate for a young boy. These are amazing and resilient children in a story and movie that are timeless.

In the meantime, I'm working on a necklace of Labradorite, a shimmery, quiet blue/gray mineral, which is paired with the Poseidon clasp and sea blue crystal roundels. The Poseidon clasp has a story. When I first saw it, I thought it was St. George slaying the dragon, and wanted to make something for my mother with it, because my dad was named George, and now she is married to a second George. Then one day I showed it to my friend Amalia, yes, she's Greek, too, and she looked at it and said "that's not St. George" very matter of factly. Huh? I had this big plan to please my mom! No, says Amalia, St. George rides a horse, and this guy doesn't. Also, St. George uses more of an arrow, and this is a trident. Furthermore, that's not a dragon. And that's how I knew that I had the mythical sea god, Poseidon clasp rather than the religious Saint George clasp. Stay tuned. I'm going to get this necklace right today and it will be a beauty.

No comments: