Sunday, February 28, 2010

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

When you're growing up, and life is so vivid yet blurry, you have no idea how special things are when they are happening to you. Or at least that's how it is with me, who lives a great part of her life in the past. (in my mind). The one good thing about growing old will be that "they say" that you remember earlier memories. I can't wait to remember the earlier memories more vividly since I don't have the pictures that I'd take today if I knew now what I didn't know then. Wait, what's this post about? Oh yeah. Peter is going to start reading one of my favorite books. Only it's for school, and for assignments, rather than for pleasure. Unfortunately, I believe that reading books for the purpose of discussion and work takes away the pleasure. Except he never would have read it otherwise. This morning we watched the movie
To Kill A Mockingbird starring Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch. I first saw this as a little girl while spending the night at my grandmother's house. My grandmother and I sat together on her sofa and she cracked roasted and salted pumpkin seeds for me while we watched. It was probably a Saturday Night at the Movies movie. If for some reason you've never seen this movie or don't know the story, I'm not going to say another word about it. In the next few years, I discovered the book on our bookshelf at home (now on my bookshelf here in Wilmette, complete with my dad's name stamped on the inside), and read it. The movie was so true to the story that seeing the movie first in this case is OK, because the actors were the characters, and you've got a vision in your mind about the town, the people and all that happened there.

No comments: