Wednesday, February 3, 2010

BLUES & GREENS & PEARLS & CRYSTALS

Pool Bracelet - Another memory of our first trip to Greece is the memory of two swimming pools. They might have been the only ones in the entire country at that time, or so my parents would have us believe. The first was at the Athens Hilton, which was the place to stay. The second pool was on the roof of the Capsis Hotel in Thessaloniki just outside the village of my grandparents. My mom stayed at the Capsis with one or two of us at a time, while the other child would be staying in the village with the relatives. The thing about the Capsis pool was, they didn't really use chlorine in it. When it got dirty, they'd empty it out and refill it for a day. This is the pool...I think they've cleaned up their act. It looks like it would still be fun up there, though.
The pool bracelet is a multi-strand bracelet of turquoise blue and crystals with a vintage crystal button clasp. Two of the strands are aquamarine chips and glass delica beads....a few of the strands have beautiful silver bugle beads I purchased in Mexico....many of the strands have vintage czech glass turquoise beads, and there are Swarovski crystals too... It shimmers.Perivoli Necklace - The Perivoli is the garden, and it's always lush and green. I bought these green glass beads many years ago on a necklace. I found them in my stash of special things I save (there is a lot of that around here), and realized that they were beautiful and special. I don't know anything about them except that they appear to be blown glass art beads in swirls of green. Probably from the 1940s or 50s, maybe even earlier. They are accompanied by Swarovski peridot green crystals, deep green freshwater pearls and a special lighter green glass bead from my collection. The clasp is simple....I'd commissioned this one from a vintage button also from my own collection. It glows.When I began making jewelry, I beaded with pearls exclusively. As I've progressed from jewelry making to art jewelry making, the pearls haven't played as big a role in my pieces, but I've missed them. This is a pearl bracelet plus.....plus large 8mm Swarovski crystals..... plus five unique circular shaped Bali Silver beads.....plus a lovely Bali Silver clasp. The kind of bracelet you can wear every day, or the one you'll save for the most special occasions. You choose. There are no rules! It comforts.Mediterranean Dreams Crystal Necklace - Take a gorgeous vintage button (I think it's a St. John button from my stepfather's first wife's collection), and surround it with crystal roundels of the deepest blue and the clearest clear, and you've got a necklace that will take you around the world.

No comments: