Wednesday, May 23, 2012

WHEN MOLLY WAS A HARVEY GIRL

When Molly Was a Harvey Girl by Frances M. Wood - I arrived all the way to my job as a Realtor when I first heard about the Fred Harvey restaurants. So when I was subbing in the library the other day, and this new book came across the desk, Barbara checked it out for me so that I could be the first to read it. The story takes place in the late 1800s, and it's about Molly, a 13 year old girl having a normal life in a small Illinois town when it all turns upside down. Her experiences and adventures as well as her courage and spirit make for a wonderful book. The geography, variety of characters and their professions and backgrounds as well as the town of Raton round it all out. I recommend When Molly Was a Harvey Girl to readers of all ages, especially those who admire a spunky heroine.

I did some online reading to learn more about the Fred Harvey Restaurants....here is a WSJ book review.

No comments: