Thursday, May 24, 2012

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE

Martha Marcy May Marlene - This is a movie that the Chicago Tribune reviewers have been raving about for months. Last night after it finished, I had all sorts of critiques for the movie and those reviewers. I only read enough of the review to know whether it is a must see, and whether the the story line will interest me. The movie unfolds slowly, and even moves slowly. Flashbacks allow the viewer to form their own version of what happened to Martha when she was Marcy May. I wanted both more and less from this movie, and maybe that's what made it a good movie? Although once over, I was glad it had finished, albeit unsatisfactorily. This description and my feelings about this are as troubled and searching as the story. So was it a good movie? I have no idea. I suppose it could be discussed and discussed. Maybe this is one that needs discussion, if only to say "what would you, as any of these characters, have done?"

No comments: