Sunday, May 6, 2012

THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT * EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE

The Five Year Engagement - Hmmm. How to talk about this one without giving anything away? I'll say that it's quirky and the characters are likeable, and it takes place in two beautiful cities, and one of them was great to see on film because I had a great time there. So yeah, it got great reviews, most of my friends are also loving it, and I hope that you will too. It can wait for your home screen, but you won't regret seeing it at the movies. And the doughnut thing from Thinking Fast and Slow is in there too!

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Tom Hanks plays the dad (who has a minor physical presence in the book) which is your first clue that movie is not book. This was an adaptation of sorts, and it was OK, but I don't think anyone who hasn't read the book would follow the movie very well. It would seem shallow and hollow and reaching. I think they might have been better off to leave this one alone. I will forget I saw the movie, and keep the story from the book in my heart. The little boy did a good job with what the adults gave him, though.

No comments: