Sunday, October 3, 2010

BOTH WAYS IS THE ONLY WAY I WANT IT * COUPLES RETREAT

Both Ways is the Only Way I Want It by Maile Meloy - It's no surprise that anyone would love the title of this book, which is a compilation of short stories. I've written about my love of short stories in the past. They are perfect little jewels of reading. In small doses, an author gives you a character, a situation and a wrap. I used to love the short stories in the womens' magazines when I was younger. Redbook was full of them, Better Homes and Gardens, Good Housekeeping, Women's Day and Family Circle and McCalls always had one too. I'm pretty sure Better Homes had one. These stories are about families, friends, misfits, relationships. In many of these stories, the main character has a secret. I loved this book.

Couples Retreat - The trailers on tv looked so fun, but the movie did not get good reviews, so I waited until I could watch it for "free" on cable. The premise was good, the characters fun, it just lasted too long and needed tighter editing. The setting at the retreat was fabulous, though. My eyes feasted on the blue water and palm trees - it looked so warm there. Cute movie for something mindless; I like watching Vince Vaughn.

Where've I been? In Florida, playing fb Scrabble, worked one day, and trying to catch up in general. I need a major stuff purge. I need to not care so much about the stuff I'm getting from my relatives because they can't deal with it. It leaves no room for my own stuff which I was always able to handle. I can't even get down to mine because of having to sort through theirs. I've got a Purple Heart pick up on Tuesday morning, and am planning to let a fair amount go. Wish me luck. I need it.

No comments: