Sunday, July 11, 2010

WHO'S YOUR CADDY? * REUNIONS * NO PLACE LIKE HOME?

Who's Your Caddy? Looping for the Great, Near Great, and Reprobates of Golf by Rick Reilly - I don't golf, but I do go to garage sales and my son is a golf caddy this summer. So at a neighborhood sale a couple of weeks ago, (I love those, that's where the whole street is up for grabs) a bored dad wanted to get rid of stuff and gave me the book. Then I bought something for a dollar don't remember what. Maybe the little Jay Strongwater frame? I don't know. But I digress. I just finished the book, and it's a fun read. Rick is a writer for Sports Illustrated, very chatty and a bit long winded writing-wise. He caddied for different famous golfers and celebrities and then wrote the book. You'll find out that caddies are characters and there's more to golf than hitting a little ball with a stick. I think. Although Rick tries a little too hard to be funny, the ironies throughout the book are what makes it a good fun read.

Reunions - We drove to Detroit this weekend for my class reunion from Fordson High School in Dearborn, Michigan. I love these reunions, and always have a great time at them even though I didn't particularly love high school. If we went back in time, we might even find out that I hated it, but I really don't remember. Even though all kinds of memories came back to me this weekend. Which is scary because if the long term memory is improving, does that mean that the short term is going? I loved the building though - here is a picture that I lifted from someone's Flickr page:
Here's the text that goes with the photo:
When it was built in 1928, the Superintendent of Public Instruction called it " the most beautiful [school] in Michigan." The central tower brings to mind the Memorial Quadrangle at Yale University or the Lawyers' Club at the University of Michigan. The Neo-Tudor building is clad in seam-faced granite with Briar Hill sandstone trim. The architects were the firm of Van Leyen, Schilling, Keough and Reynolds (which designed several churches in the Detroit area). When the school was built it served the city of Fordson--named after Henry FORD and SON, Edsel ( this was also the brand name of Ford Motor Company's tractors). The high school's athletic teams are known as the Fordson Tractors. Fordson later became part of the city of Dearborn.
Fordson's colors are Maize and Blue, and here is a photo, (also from Flickr), of the school seal in the entrance way floor.The reunion included Friday night at a Dearborn bar owned by one of our classmates, the Saturday afternoon where we could wander around the school, and then a dinner on Saturday night. It was all fun. It's a way to connect with your past and who you were, and then a way to celebrate who we are all now. Whoever we are. There are lots of stories, and lots of wondering about the other 500 or so classmates who weren't there. What we were a part of was this thing that civilization has where people of the same age go for most of the months of the year to a building and to classes and learn what we are told to learn. Education boggles my mind. A lot of people are apparently on Facebook, so I went there tonight and checked it out after a long dry spell. One of my college friends (who was going to be long lost if not for Facebook because she's moved to Qatar) friended me, so that will be fun.
We stayed with my mom and GC, and all is well there, and then we reunioned with my brother Bill and his family. It was great to see them, and to have Peter spend time with his cousins.
I think the above blurb about Fordson isn't totally accurate. I'd always thought that the school was named after the tractor which was named after Henry Ford and son Edsel. And the school's mascot is the tractor. I'd forgotten that the cheer was "oil job". Too funny. Here's the Wiki on Fordson



No comments: