Monday, July 19, 2010

THE HUNGER GAMES

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I kept seeing this book on book club lists, although I knew it to be a young adult category book since Peter read it for school this past year. It's a great story, although the concept is ominous. It takes place in the future when there are 12 districts on the land that formerly was the United States. Every year each of the 12 districts sends one boy and one girl to the Hunger Games which take place in the Capitol. The Hunger Games are televised, and they play sort of like Survivor, except the winner is the last person standing after the other 23 have died or been killed. The narrator, Katniss, is wonderful, if not a bit clueless when it comes to human relationships. I was enthralled until the end, hanging on every word to see how the love interest part of the story would play out. And what happened? The book ended as a cliff hanger - I've got to read the rest of the trilogy to get my answer.

I wish I could catch up once and for all, and have things be like they used to be. About 12 years ago. Only Merlin gets to live his life backwards, though. (I'm now reading The Once and Future King - Peter's summer reading requirement). Hmmm....live life backwards. You know the future, but not the past.

No comments: