Friday, December 25, 2009

SUNSHINE CLEANING * MY LIFE IN RUINS * YOU BETTER NOT CRY

Merry Christmas to all. I'm feeling a little extra Christmas spirit this morning as a result of too many Peach Cosmos last night. Mix up the vodka, peach schnapps and cranberry juice. Yum at the time. Not so yum waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep. The benefit was that I was able to finish a great little Christmas book on Christmas morning.....

You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas by Augustin Burroughs. I'm on this Augustin Burroughs kick right now...not quite as obsessive as the Leonard Cohen thing from last year, but pretty intense nevertheless. If you mention Augustin Burroughs to most readers, they say oh...Running With Scissors... and their memories conger up all the worst and craziest parts of the book. My memory kind of forgets the sad sick parts and remembers little bits that weren't so bad. And so I continue to read everything Augustin has written and writes. This year it's this great compilation of longer short stories about Christmas. We journey with him through his life in Christmases. My favorite was the beautiful love story about George. In a way, though, they are all love stories, and they got me through my hangover this morning.

Sunshine Cleaning - I'd better start writing in red now, because the movie titles have to be in green. Not that they have to be, but they do. While anxiously going back and forth to the library hoping to find Julie and Julia on the shelf (With new releases you can't reserve), I stumbled across Sunshine Cleaning. Yea! I really wanted to see this one. Michelle came over, and we watched and it was wonderful. Amy Adams and Emily Blunt are sisters who get into a new business. It's sweet and quirky. One of my tops for the year.

My Life In Ruins - This movie was at the theaters for a minute, or maybe a week. It was panned, but my mom loved it. And I really liked it too. Nia Vardalos plays Nia Vardalos, this time as a history loving tour guide in Greece. She falls for Poopy Kakas, the hairy greek bus driver who keeps telling her how thin she is. Poopy cuts his hair, speaks english and turns into a hunk by the end of the movie. Nia has a pretty voice when she sings Never on Sunday (Ta Pedia Tou Piraia) in Greek. Here's your Christmas present - go to You Tube and WATCH THIS

Hey, all of a sudden (5 hours later) I'm feeling much better.


No comments: