Sunday, December 27, 2009

PUSH * FUNNY PEOPLE * A CHRISTMAS STORY

Push - by Sapphire is the novella on which the movie Precious was based. I've just read it in two short blasts because I couldn't put it down. It's a person's story, and although it's a work of fiction, it's written with truth, and you know it could all be true. The world is so cruel but filled with such goodness. Precious Jones is among the most beautiful characters I have ever met in a book or movie. No matter what had happened to her, she always knew love when she encountered it.

Funny People - I was a little hesitant about this one. Generally Adam Sandler is difficult for me to watch. Too silly, too overacted, too silly. He's growing up, though, and I loved this movie. It's about comedians and LA and what if and being a jerk and being a good guy, and being young and getting older. It's serious and funny and amusing and I almost didn't want it to end. However, it ended perfectly, and I'd definitely watch it again, which seems to be a new barometer for movies for me. Maybe not a new barometer, but one that I realize makes a difference. This has been a great week for movies. I love vacationing at home.

A Christmas Story - Every time I pick up the Tribune, one of the writers is referring to this movie. The cheesy leg lamp, and the little boy's longing for that one special gift for Christmas. It turns out this is a 1983 movie, and we'd never seen it. I won't be watching it again and again, but surprisingly, I think Peter enjoyed it. It paralleled his life this year, because he also wanted something that he didn't think he'd ever get. Why do boys want something violent? What brainiac man invented guns? How has the invention of guns bettered our civilization? Ever? How is it that guns are OK? I don't get it don't get it don't get it. Why do we compromise our values and then justify rather than own the compromise? I'll say it here. I compromised my values with one of Peter's presents this year. I'm not happy about it, and to see his happiness is strange, because he compromised some of his values for this too. I don't want him to feel guilty because that's an awful way to feel, and yet, I want him to grow up and not play violent games. It's all a question mark from here in that department.

No comments: