Thursday, December 17, 2009

THE HELP * NIGHTS IN RODANTHE * GOOD TIMES

The Help by Kathryn Stockett - I can't believe it's over. I could have read about the town and the people in this book forever. It takes place in the early 1960s, in Jackson, Mississippi, and details the lives of "the help" (the black housekeepers) and the "clients" (the white women) in whose homes they worked. This is a very special novel set against a turbulent time in both Mississippi and the United States. I couldn't wait to find out what happened with Constantine, and then I couldn't wait to find out about Minny's "terrible awful". I know they can't wait to make the movie, and I pray that talented unknown actresses will be chosen for the various roles. If they cast Julia Roberts as Celia, or Meryl as anyone but the librarian or benefit guest, I don't think I'll be able to watch. This is a very visual story, and I want it to be true and real.

Nights in Rodanthe - This was on On Demand for its last night, so I watched it a few nights ago. Surprise, although formulaic in a Nicholas Sparks little book way, the movie was very sweet. Diane Lane is such a natural, and Richard Gere is one of the most talented actors of our time. I think of stories like this as part of the Bridges of Madison County genre. However, I'll take the book Bridges over Nicholas Sparks, but I'll take the movie of Nights over the movie of Bridges. Got that?

Good Times - Last night I threw a little impromptu "girls' night" for every woman friend who has an email address in my address book. There was no time to call, sorry everyone else. It was so great to welcome everyone inside on a cold night for drinks, appetizers, a few sweets and laughs. I served a typical menu for me. Something with cheese (Hot Feta Artichoke Dip), something greek (Courabethes are little powdered sugar holiday cookies), and something chocolate (Chocolate Truffle Cake- Michelle's recipe). And what I was calling Cosmopolitans, but were really Pomtinis (vodka for the laughs and Pomogranite juice for the antioxidants) mixed up in my first foray with a cocktail shaker and sugar rimmed glasses. Other festive foods were red and green M&Ms, red and green soaked-in-rum maraschino cherries and Fritos. The only natural healthy option were the baby carrots. Funny how we went through bags of Fritos, but only half a bag of the carrots! Too fun, and thanks to everyone for coming and making a party, cause it's the company who really makes the evening. OK, I gotta run, because bead group will be here any time now.

No comments: