Thursday, December 10, 2009

MAGICAL THINKING * BEFORE AND AFTER


How did this happen? My desk is once again a huge pile of mess. I am going to take care of it right now, and as a reward I'll go finish off my pumpkin risotto for breakfast. (don't look at the time on this post if you don't want to know too much about me today). I guess it happens one day at a time, and slowly, sneakily, and maybe while I'm sleeping. I'll post the "AFTER" photo within an hour. Why do I save every scrap of paper? I might just have to pile up the scraps in the interest of speed here, but I can certainly make more white space. Here goes.....
Oops, I can't begin yet, I've got to review that book you see front and center. It's

Magical Thinking by Augustin Burroughs - It's a great collection of true stories, short stories about Augustin's life. He is such a great easy-to-read writer. Really honest and from the heart, with a ribbon of neurotic compulsive sarcastic commentary sort of rounding it out. As we all know, I don't watch the news except for 60 minutes. I read the Chicago Tribune or the main daily newspaper of wherever I happen to be every single day. But a lot of time I gloss over the political-world-long article information. Which is why this particular couple of sentences were my favorite from the book: "I never watch CNN. I hate news and information and anything that threatens to puncture the bubble of oblivion in which I live". My personal bubble isn't quite as oblivious as Augustin's although I wouldn't want to take a test on world leaders and world affairs right now. I haven't watched Jeopardy in a few years, and often feel like I'm on information overload. "the bubble of oblivion" It's magical. Augustin knows magical thinking to be where you think something and know that it will happen. I think magical thinking is me thinking that somehow, without my physical input, I'm going to wake up one day, come into my office, and my desk will be perfect. It never happens though. Although tomorrow it will happen. Only it will have been magical thinking the book + me putting everything into a place. It's only about a degree outside, and of course it's time to pick up Peter from school. I hope I hope that Steve will do it. So I have to go downstairs to check which could derail the plan. Stay tuned kids....
3 HOURS LATER!!! Ta Daaaa!....
I know, I know, although it's neat, there are still piles of scraps of paper on this desk. So the pile in front of the keyboard are the "to do" next even tonight pile. The pile to the left is the ongoing idea pile, books to read, etc.... The yellow thing is a box with pens, remote, glasses and scissors in it. The pile under the computer paper feeder is the resume/application etc. pile for when I apply to be a substitute teacher in the various school districts. It's taken 3 hours, but Santa and I are so much happier. No magical thinking here today, just plain old easy hard work. It's time for breakfast.


No comments: