Monday, March 23, 2009

AWAY * PUERTO VALLARTA






Here we are in sunnyPuerto Vallarta, although if you look up the weather, you'll see that for some reason, there isn't a lot of sun today. It was a nice little vacation day though; I finished an appropriately named book called Away so not only was I in Puerto, (as my niece Libby calls it) but I was also in Alaska or Canada today, in the book. We got through our Mexican Style water aerobics class (basically tons and seemingly hours of arm excercises while you jump or jog in the pool in waist deep water). No working with and against the water in this class. I cheat a lot, (you didn't know there was cheating in mexican water aerobics?) but it's fun. Then I came up to the condo and had half an avocado (food of the gods....nectar....etc.) and a little bean/corn/onion/tomato/cilantro salad with a glass of jugo mango. Hung out and tried to get the password for this blog for about an hour (couldn't do it), went for a beach walk with Steve, (yeah) saw whales jumping out of the ocean (oh yeah), collected a few pink rocks, came back to the room, had a white russian (this is the land of Kahlua) looked at Facebook (learned about, actually) with my niece, Libby, and she recovered or reset my password to something I can remember from remote foreign locations, and here I am! The idea was to write about
Away by Amy Bloom - But just another aside (I asked Peter what color he thinks of when he thinks of PV/Mexico, and he thinks of orange ((I do too)) hence the font color today). Anyway, this book was incredible. It's the perfect vacation read, taking place in my favorite decade, the 1920's. Female protagonist named Lillian leaves behind (but not really because for her entire life she continues to dream) her country and life tragedy to come to New York City. By the end of the book she's crossed the country and experiences the great Northwest, and of course I can't tell you anything else but that Amy Bloom is an amazing story teller. Just read it now.
The rest of the day has been empty without a book because I needed to leave a buffer zone between Away and the next book which I think is a little Jane Austin type tale.




Oh! I forgot to write about Animal Crackers, the book I finished before starting Away.... Remember I read The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti? So amazing I had to read what else she wrote,which was




Animal Crackers by Hannah Tinti - Her first book, a collection of short stories, each one unusual and self contained (I've always loved short stories) and featuring people and maybe an animal. My favorite was the last story about Miss Waldron. I wish I had known her. Maybe the Robin Williams movie about the Museum of Natural History was inspired by one of the stories in this book. OK, so why is this book photo a different size than the other one?

No comments: