Monday, January 19, 2009

SWEATER PURSE


My Sweater Purse is finally finished and I'm loving it. Looking back to my post of February 10, 2008 - has it been almost a whole year? - I see that I'd inadvertantly
shrunk the Eileen Fisher sweater, then since it didn't fit anymore, shrunk it again on
purpose
. Then I looked at it for a year, thinking about how I was going to make this
purse. What I did
was use a large embroidery needle (bodkin) and some heavy duty
carpet thread and stitch up the bottom of the sweater. Next I cut off the buttons and
sewed up the fro
nt of the sweater. Then came the big step. Cutting off the sleeves.
Once th
is was done, the shape could be ruined, but I did it, using my new Gingher scissors (which I love, and which are worth it after all). Now I had to sew up the
armholes, but in a w
ay that would keep the sides of the bag looking smooth. This
took some doing,
and even now, it's a little bumpy. Which enhances the home-made-
ness, right? Almost there. I sewed the buttons back on where they lo
oked good, and
cut one of the sleeves into strips. Sewed the two strips together on the short side,
and attached them to the bag inside the collar.

I had some blue on cream cotton toile fabric that I'd gotten through Freecycle, and
sewed that into a lining with a zipper. Carried the purse a few days. Cou
ldn't stand
my zipper closure. It was a pain to get into the purse. Took o
ut the lining, cut off
the zipper, and re-inserted the lining without a protective top. I just hav
e to be
constantly careful to not let everything spill out of the purse. Today I'll
go to Hancock
Fabrics, where notions are 50% off in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, and I'll buy
some of those magnetic snaps.

No comments: