Saturday, January 10, 2009

SNOWING LIKE CRAZY


It's a snowy Saturday; here's our fountain from the window of my office/sewing room.
In the meantime, I finished a great little book.

When You
Are Engulfed In Flames - David Sedaris never disappoints, and this latest volume is no exception. I love his honesty and crazy way of thinking that ultimately makes sense to me. It's funny/not funny and never sarcastic. The written equivalent of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Sometimes, you're just "David, you're not really going to go THERE?.......and you're reading, and too late, he's already there. If you're wondering about the cover, then I'll just hint that it's about gift buying and writing in Tokyo.

Of course no one remembers that last year, I showed a picture of the Eileen Fisher sweater I shrunk that I didn't even know was wool, really. I've tried to shrink and felt a number of clothes I didn't like, but this sweater decided to be the one. My intent was to make a purse, and I finally did! Last week! Sewing by hand with heavy duty button thread! And then I carried it for a couple of days and decided my pretty toile lining wasn't working out because the zipper was too short and I couldn't get into my purse
and root around as I am wont to do, looking for a pen, my wallet, the changepurse...
So, today I'll finish it by maybe attaching some black fabric to the toile and creating more of a tie closure.

Peter Perfect - No, I'm not talking about my son....there's a new TV show on Style about this brit, Peter Ishkans, who runs a successful LA hair salon. Small business owners who are about to crash and burn for one reason or another call Peter to come and help them save their business. He does Small Business Makeovers! I love it. His accent is like Super Nanny's accent, not upper class, but not cockney, either. For example, he says Buh-uhn for Button. He says that "Image is Everything". He also makes over the people at his salon, and he teaches them to keep their business clean and organized, and to think about every little detail of their business. Here's a link to a little preview video: Peter Perfect Video Don't laugh at me, it grows on you!

To Tell The Truth - Now it's on at 2:30 am following Whats My Line. I'm watching because the guests are sometimes people who are now famous and well known by sight, athough they weren't at the time. The female panelists are very corny, but the men are quite charming. It really points up the excellence of the What's My Line panel. And, no, I'm not watching it in real time, by then I'm upstairs doing my last email check of the night, or reading if the book is really good. Gotta love the DVR. It's revolutionary if one is a tv watcher. If you weren't around in those days, try this link to see what it was like in those days: To Tell The Truth Video

No comments: