Tuesday, January 13, 2009

IRINA PALM * MAMA MIA * NEVER LET ME GO * DARK SHADOWS

Irina Palm - One of the best movies I've seen in ages. It's a story about what a grandmother will do for her beloved grandson. It stars Marinanne Faithfull and she's wonderful. Not for the faint of heart, but I won't say anymore because I don't want to give it away. Lots of great scenes, but my favorite is near the end when Maggie has tea with her girlfriends. This is good - especially if little obscure movies are your thing.

Mama Mia - Fabulous! This is my favorite Meryl Streep movie ever, and although she is the main character, the movie is still about the story, the scenery and of course the music and dancing. An absolute credit to the stage show, full of energy and laughs.

Never Let M
e Go - by Kazuo Ishiguro takes place in the UK in the later years of the 20th century. Halfway through the book, loving it, I realized I had no idea what it was about or where it was leading. And still I read. To the point where I finished it all in a mad-dash-hours-long-read this morning. Any thing I say about it will give something away, and this is a story best revealed layer by layer. In my search for cover art I discovered another cover that is maybe preferable to this one, which is the one I read. Still, my cover would be of the building and grounds around which much of the book revolves. Should there be a label for posts called "going off on a tangent"?


I'm off to take pictures of my sweater purse, so that this post can be about more than books and movies. Which after all are asides from life since they take you out of your own reality into someone else's reality. It's obvious that other realities are places I enjoy, as also evidenced by my obsession to certain reality shows. What a great genre. Where was it all those years? Oh...it was there, they called it soap operas. I was there too! When I was in 7th or 8th grade, knowing that my grandmother had watched her "my shows" for years, a friend had me over to her house to watch two new shows, A World Apart about Patrice and All My Children about Erica Kane and all kinds of other people. Patrice was played by Susan Sarandon, and didn't last long. Erica Kane is still going strong. We also watched Dark Shadows at 4. The other two were on around noon, so we could only watch those during the summer. Dark Shadows is the source of my now limited knowledge of Vampires, Witches, Warlocks and the like. It was a fantastic show. I loved Victoria Winters. She was so nerdy in a way, just like me, but she was in the thick of the action at Collinwood. My grandmother was the only one to support the soap opera habit. I remember her trying to watch Dark Shadows, but she couldn't get there. She watched One Life To Live, Search For Tomrrow and As The World Turns. She said that by watching those shows, you could know how to live your own life. And that at the holidays they were the best because everyone was all dressed up and the houses were decorated and all was at its best. Just like in real life!
Click here to watch the first episode of Dark Shadows. You'll see Elizabeth Collins and Victoria Winters and hear the opening music.



No comments: