Monday, January 19, 2009

FREECYCLE IS FABULOUS

Freecycle is a yahoo group that anyone with a Yahoo email address can join. You post stuff that you want to get rid of so that it doesn't end up in a landfill. Last year I unloaded......
Virginia Bluebells - an invasive plant in my garden that I wanted out!
This was the best freecycle ever because one lady brought chocolate and I made a couple of new gardening friends
Christmas Ornaments
A partly burned but still in good shape gold pillar candle
An art deco kitchen chair that I couldn't sell on Craigs
An old lampshade that came with a lamp I bought at a garage sale
A bag of Fabric scraps
Three freebie Wall Calendars
A black silicone pot holder - the person who took this left some amazing brittle in return - he uses these pot holders as a brittle surface so that it's easy to peel
Half used page a day calendars
A huge Circus Poster from my husband's friend - what was it doing HERE?
Loads of books from Valerie
A Suede vest from a Rummage sale that Peter didn't wear on halloween
Old Piano music
Extra ceramic and plastic pots for plants
An expandable trivet that had lost its luster for me
A costco cookbook
A little birdsnest for a crafter - it turns out a woman has a birds nest theme in her house!
oh, and there's a guy who collects star wars anything - I had books for him.
And lots more that I don't remember

I got a few things too. Today I picked up half a bag of rock salt because we had none when it was so icy a couple of weeks ago. The ice was really scary, and this would have
helped. The woman who gave this rock salt has started a blog about freecycling. She is going to freecycle something every day this year. I love the idea, and am going to try to freecycle things 3 or 4 times a week.....that's 150 - 200 things out of here! I mean someone came and picked up long fabric cardboard tubes even! To use to make palm trees for a party.
I also got two loveseats that I thought would fit down our basement stairs but didn't. So I had to re-freecycle those to the next person who had contacted the original freecycler. The next person came and got the loveseats the next day.
I picked up a huge amount of fabric from a drapery-making company. I've already used a lot of the fabric for window treatments and to make casserole carriers.
I gave a couple of bolts of the fabric to a friend to give to a woman who supports her children and grandchildren. I may have to freecycle some of the rest of that fabric this week, because, honestly, although it's beautiful, I don't have a good use for it.
Sometimes people post "wants" on Freecycle. Like the time someone posted a "want" for a baseball mitt, broken in, for a 7 year old. Guess what? I had one and freecycled it to a new home where it spent at least a few nights under a pillow instead of in a forgotten box in a basement. The 7 year old was thrilled. I love that he slept with the mitt.

Has anyone noticed the new look here at herheartonhersleeve.blogspot.com? I was having a difficult time lining up my words and photos in my last post, and the little borders around the photos were particularly wrong. I thought. So they're gone! This post is really about Freecycle, though. And other ways of getting your stuff recycled and re-used without leaving home. We all have a responsibility to our planet to keep it clean and to keep the landfills free of things that can be re-used. Please?

And one more thing....when the freecycle community doesn't want your stuff, you can list it on Craigslist in the Free category. Within a day or so it will be GONE. Like the shoulder pads and the curtain swag holders. Yea!!!



No comments: