Sunday, January 12, 2014

THE WARDROBE WAKEUP * BEFORE MIDNIGHT * THE TO DO LIST * HANDLING DIFFICULT PEOPLE

The Wardrobe Wakeup by Lois Joy Johnson - This is a great guide for updating a tired closet, and although it's the same information over and over chapter after chapter, by the time you've read it all (over and over again), it starts to sink in that a few of the items in the closet really do have to go.  Now.  Thankfully, mostly I'm on the right track, but I can still dress someone else better than I can dress myself.  Because this Wardrobe Wakeup style of dressing is b-o-r-i-n-g, even with the fun shoes, great bag, fun jewelry, etc.  Nowhere was the phrase "pop of color" employed, but there was quite a bit about ponte knits.  The sooner I get into the closet the better, since the book is due tomorrow.  According to the author, here's what you need to ask of each clothing item:
" Do you work for my real life as it is today? "
" Do you genuinely flatter my body? "
" Can I afford you? "
" Do you update or upgrade my wardrobe? "

If I ever get a working printer, I'm going to print and laminate the above for my closet.  I'll make you one too if you like!  If I ever get a working printer.  

Just for a point of reference, the last sign I posted in my closet says:

                            Feng Shui For A Better Life

          Give Away What You Don't Use

          Surround Yourself With Things That Bring You Pleasure 

          Keep What You Want And Need Within Reach

Which still resonates.  I did read this sign, but I'd printed it out in a cursive font so although it's beautiful looking, it's not that easy to read quickly.  When I'm on a purge, I need to have this sign right next to me, and then I need to read it while I'm holding an unnecessary item that wants to be kept by me because it will be lonely and lose its security if I give it away.  Stuff, you know who you are.  Oh, and by the way, have you ever noticed that the longer they hang around, the less pleasure some things bring?  And other things, the longer they hang around, the more pleasure they bring.  The trick is figuring that out for each thing, and then acting decisively.  

Before Midnight - I must admit to watching a tiling DVD, and then falling asleep on Ethan and Julie.  Before Sunrise was really good and unusual when it happened, but Before Sunset came too quickly.....I wish there had been 15 or 20 years in between the two.  Which means Before Midnight, whatever it's about (they were in Greece and I think the conversation might have been whether to stay together?) is really happening too soon.  I would have then preferred another twenty years.   Just my opinion.  And by the way, look at this DVD cover.  Four stars.  Really?

The To Do List - The Tribune kind of liked it if I recall, but I say thumbs down.  It's a teenage movie that tries to be edgy and sweet but misses the mark somehow.  Aubrey Plaza plays just this side of her Parks and Rec character and it doesn't work.  She's not warm enough no matter how she tries.  Sorry Aubrey.  Although I know you don't care.
Handling Difficult People by Jon P. Bloch - This little green book is for anyone who has a difficult person in their life.  If nothing else, you'll find validation for your frustration with the personality type that's got you all stopped up.  My personal advice is to only have difficult people around if they are related to you by blood or long term marriage.  Even then, there are still lines that the person might cross, so always be prepared to set them free.  Basically this is what Jon is saying as well.  I already do or have tried his various techniques and responses - as anyone with difficult people concerns knows, these are hit and miss solutions, so circle back to the original case of related by blood or long term marriage.  And be prepared to set them free.  If they cross your line.  Do you have a "friend" who is difficult?  If so, then I hope they are already out of your life.  If not, what are you waiting for.  Let go.  They'll be fine and so will you.  You need non-related people tell you off and involving you in their circular thinking like a hole in the head.  Let go. 










No comments: