Saturday, January 4, 2014

GRAVITY * DEAR LUCY * INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

Saturday.  Yesterday I did get the dining room table cleared off, which was great because it shows - then I promptly started a jigsaw puzzle on said table, because when I took it off the table there was no where to put it.  Plus we are going to have those two frigid days - perfect puzzle weather!  And, I added a challenge to the puzzle doing - I am going to put this puzzle together without referring to the picture on the cover so that I can open up new brain pathways, because the Scrabble isn't doing anything for pathways at this point.  I did a small cheat by taking note of one corner so that I'd have a start point to the puzzle.  Wouldn't have had to do even that if I'd known that there was writing in another corner.  I do have a Scrabble goal, though, which is to get to 60% on my won loss record.  I've been holding steady at 57% for ages now, so the challenge is on and the challenge is real.  I have no idea how to do the math to see how many games I'd have to win in order to get up to 60%.  Hmmm. 

Gravity - This movie is so good, so scary, so edge-of-your-seat intense, that I'm glad that I didn't see it in the theater.  We always watch our movies in the dark, though, so at times we were right there with the characters in outer space.  Another must see - could be a best movie contender, and a best actress contender.  

Dear Lucy by Julie Sarkissian - I just finished a wonderful book narrated by three characters - a special girl named Lucy, her friend Samantha, and a woman named Missus.  They live on a farm outside a small town, and the book was especially poignant after seeing Philomena - there is just the smallest thread of connection between the two stories.  Lucy's voice is especially compelling, and this is a great first novel for the author.  I found it at the library on the reshelving cart in the latest hits room - I liked the cover, and I usually like characters named Lucy.  How's that for book picking? 

Inside Llewyn Davis - This is the Cohen Brothers movie that's been getting good reviews, but unless you have a particular affinity for the folk music and folk music scene in New York City of the early 1960s, I'm not sure it's got to be seen.  I kept falling asleep during the slow moving songs....think 500 miles of songs sung at the pace of 500 Miles, including 500 Miles.  Lord I'm here, Lord I'm there, but Lord I just don't care......that said, I might go back downstairs and watch it again, fast forwarding through the music to see if there was more to the story because as I read the song credits last night, I saw that I'd missed a favorite song that had possibly been performed in the movie.  I'll change this paragraph if that happens. 

No comments: