Friday, May 20, 2011

POWDER ROOM MAKEOVER - BEFORE

I thought today was Thursday.
I thought yesterday was Friday.
Peter is going to the State Finals in Track and Field as part of a 4 x 800 Relay Team.
I've got to get rid of a lot of stuff and maybe not have a garage sale.
I am going to repaint my powder room eggplant.
Now.

Here's the BEFORE:
It's a circa 1927 White Subway Tile with Black Trim Tiny room with a radiator. When we bought the house it was papered in a large black and white floral. I painted it white, and decorated it with black towels. Then at some point in the late 1990s, I painted it this sage green. Found towels to match, put up the charming green checked sheers,gold mirror, colorful impressionist oil and the bird pictures. It's sweet, but lacks drama. Last weekend I went on a Historical Housewalk, and saw a few rooms painted in a rich eggplant color. Didn't matter the room, in every case it looked super modern and very rich. Went to Epco (our local Benjamin Moore Paint Store) got all the purples, went online to see which purple people were picking, and then decided to take the finalists to the store to compare them to an actual eggplant (aubergine). I already knew that eggplants go about three shades. The blue/black, the purpler, and the reddish purple. In homegoods, I saw a Cynthia Rawley throw, and it was the perfect color. Consulted with a couple of random shoppers who were also talking color, and we all agreed that the Cynthia Rawley purple, while maybe not the color of a real eggplant, was a great color. The closest Benjamin match was Purple Lotus.

No comments: