Sunday, May 22, 2011

POWDER ROOM MAKEOVER - AFTER

Our new powder room looks lovely. The eggplant color walls look very rich, velvety and dramatic. I still need to find the correct size rug for the floor, and a great picture for the back wall, and a window treatment. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the 2" white wood blinds, but they seem to be fine. My biggest concern is that my before photos look somewhat better than my afters! So.....
Here's the paint job: Two coats of Benjamin Moore Purple Lotus provided the deep rich color I wanted. It definitely takes the mind off of the less-than-perfect trim we have in the room. I also painted the radiator this time, which brings the color down into the room.I'm thinking about silver leafing the gold mirror that was in here before, but in the meantime decided to go with the mirror that I had in our guestroom. That room is supposed to be spa-like and serene, and this mirror never did feel at home in there. Et Voila! I think it looks fabulous on eggplant walls!

I knew that I wanted silvery accents in this room, and I've always loved the parrot pictures that were in there, so I decided to use some Silver Leaf "Rub 'n Buff" that I bought ages ago for just this kind of job. On their own, I didn't love the transformation, but in the room, they look good since the frames echo the design on the frame of the large mirror.
The other day at Homegoods, before I'd even bought the paint, I saw these towels which perfectly matched my Purple Lotus paint chip, and decided on the color. They only had two hand towels, and although they're 100% cotton, the quality isn't great, but for now, they will do. I've accented them with the pale green fingertip towels.
Last but not least, for now, the parrot pictures look great, and I added this silver framed picture to the back wall. I still might do clear display shelves, or I might use one of my own black and white photos, blown up and framed simply in silver. Or maybe a collection of them. Or maybe I can get out today and take some more, since the Lilies of the Valley are here this week. All it takes is time!

No comments: