Thursday, May 19, 2011

BRIDESMAIDS * EVERYTHING GOOD WILL COME

Bridesmaids - Last week at bead group, Sue mentioned that she was going to see Bridesmaids as soon as it came out because it was supposed to be really good. Since Sue knows what she's talking about when it comes to movies, I couldn't resist going to a matinee in Evanston after delivering Meals yesterday. It was a dull drizzly day, perfect for a movie and I've been in major avoidance mode of late. I loved it! So go see Bridesmaids and get some laughs. It's kind of a Hangover for chicks, with our own kind of drama, and no special effects to speak of. For the guys, there's a wildcard bridesmaid reminiscent of Alan in the Hangover. She's there on the left, and her name is Megan, and she's hilarious. I just watched the trailer, but it gives the whole movie away, so forget that.

Everything Good Will Come by Sefi Atta - As my readers know, I loved Swallow and News From Home, and now I've just finished Everything Good Will Come, a story told by Enitan, a thoughtful girl growing up in Lagos in the 1970s, becoming a young woman in London in the 1980s, and returning to live her life at home in Nigeria in the 1990s. For me this story was more about characters and less about place, and this was her first novel, so as Sefi Atta progressed as a writer, she added Lagos into her writings as a major player. I like having read her writings in reverse, because I had pictures of Lagos in my mind's eye from having read the previous, more recently written books.

No comments: