Monday, May 9, 2011

DECORATING PETER'S ROOM

Peter's room is painted! Yea! Yesterday was Mother's Day, and while all the other moms were enjoying breakfast in bed, brunches, fetes and fabulous presents, I was prepping and painting Peter's room. My gift was the gift of Steve helping me to get this finished once and for all, because I just wasn't getting there. It had been 5 weeks since I emptied the room and tried various blues on the walls, and all I'd done in that time was a small amount of sanding, chose the blue and bought the paint. We still had to spackle holes, do a bit of sanding, wipe down walls, move furniture, cover furniture and paint. And we did! Yesterday!

This is the Before picture with the sample blue that I chose - we lived with it to make sure that we liked it in all lights. It was originally Respite by Sherwi
n Williams, which converts to Sheer Romance by Benjamin Moore. The employees at our local paint store do an excellent job of color matching, so they started with Sheer Romance and tweaked it to more perfectly match the Respite sample I gave them.Here are Peter and Steve painting. We taught Peter how to roll paint, and he actually enjoyed it.
Steve is cutting in along the baseboards.
Years ago, I thought that changing all my switchplates to white plastic was a clean nice look. Now I think it looks much nicer to have the switchplates match the paint. It gives a cleaner more continuous look to the walls. Not to mention it's classic rather than plastic.
Here we are - all the walls are painted with two coats. Tomorrow we'll see if there are still any spots that didn't get full coverage. You never know until the paint is completely dry.Today I'm washing the floor in preparation for the new carpet that will go in tonight. I've removed all the drop cloths, and I'm going to push the furniture back into place. Once the carpet is down, we'll decide whether to change around the sailing dresser and or the bookcase. Peter would love to have a beanbag chair in his room. We're going to get a Steve Prefontaine poster, and I'm going to find running pictures of Steve and Peter, and get those framed as well. Then I'm going to organize all the medals that Peter has gotten from his races since 5th grade, and I'll figure out a way to store/display them. Lastly, or it might actually be firstly, I'm going to make a triangular pendant flag valance for the windows. If we get the beanbag chair, maybe we can cover it in the leftover fabric from the window treatments. I think I'll go with white sheers on the french door windows rather than the blue check sheers we'd had forever. The blue check is a little too dark for the new color scheme, and I want this to be as pulled together as it can be, so no "almosts"....just elements that work great together and make for an interesting fabulous room.

No comments: