Thursday, July 17, 2008

WATCHING TV

I think it's time for a new category on the blog. I watch a lot of TV. I've loved watching since I can remember. With cable and a dvr and a nice big HD flat panel TV, it's possible to indulge in any TV any time. The quality of the picture is incredible and magnetic. Here's what I'm watching lately:

Flipping Out: This is a reality show about a neurotic rehabber in LA who flips houses. He's OCD, a perfectionist, did I mention neurotic in a lovable way, and really knows his business. He has great friends who love him and tolerate him and support him in spite of his quirks, which makes him just like anyone, which is probably why I find him so likable.

Project Runway: We're into a new season, so I don't know yet know the players, but it's a fun time getting to know everyone. The last two seasons included fabulously talented contestants designing fabulously inspired clothing. On a budget, under crazy deadlines, and surrounded by the competition all the way. I've come to love and respect Tim Gunn. He's one of the great stylemasters of our time.

What's My Line: That's right. I set my DVR to record it on GSN every day, then each night I watch Arlene Francis, Bennett Cerf, Dorothy Kilgallon and Charles Daley as the panel moderator guess the "lines" of the guests. Each show features a famous mystery guest. For this segment, the panel covers their eyes and must figure out the identity of said mystery guest. All the stars and personalities of the day appeared. My favorites have been Elizabeth Taylor (when she was married to Michael Wilding I think), and Elenor Roosevelt. The best.

Saving Grace: Just started a new season. Holly Hunter plays a police detective with some issues of her own. And she has this angel who has his hands full with her. I love this show. This is not your parents' detective story. 'nuff said.

Mad Men: It's on On Demand, so I just started watching last season at the recommendation of my neighbor who I think this is the only show she watches. She's really fun and smart and artistic, so I knew it had to be good. The Mad Men are the Ad Men of Madison Avenue circa 1960. Everybody's smoking and drinking and engaging in other non-appropriate politically incorrect and maddening behaviors which were considered normal and cool in those olden days. It's good stuff.

More To Come. (Remember? REMEMBER???)

No comments: