Sunday, July 20, 2008

BEHIND THE SCENES IN RESTAURANT KITCHENS

Kitchen Confidential: by Anthony Bourdain - Chef Tony writes about his "adventures in the culinary underbelly" and leaves nothing unsaid. His autobiographical account of life as a NYC chef is an engrossing and fun read. He's been around a couple of blocks, and tells an unvarnished truth about himself and the business he loves. He has a Travel Channel show called No Reservations, and some of that ironic personality comes through. I enjoyed the show about Saudi Arabia once I got used to his slight monotone. His sarcasm is refreshing, though.

I once spent two weeks as an intern in the busy kitchen of a major hotel in Chicago, so some of his stories come as no surprise. Our head chef was a huge crusty frenchman, feared and revered by everyone in the hotel. At the time I just didn't get it. I thought the sous chefs wielding their chainsaws in the freezer were the heroes. The long hours, low pay, stressful deadlines, and lack of much of a life outside the hotel didn't work out for me; it was a fun year, but I'm still looking for that high paying stress free job where you don't work many hours and have lots of time to do what you enjoy. Hmmm....maybe blogging is the answer.


No comments: