Wednesday, July 9, 2008

NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR

Nineteen Eighty-Four: By George Orwell. For a few days now, I've been blue and blah and in a general funk of a mood. I'd been racking my brain to figure out why, and trying to be outwardly nice as much as possible. This morning, I figured out what it was. As I finished this book, I felt a weight lift off of me. I felt the air clearing, and the fog was gone. This is one depressing story! A HUGE downer of a book. There are great big doses of torture, betrayal, brainwashing. In spite of myself, I wonder if a movie was made....Wickipedia is happy to oblige... Apparently there are 1956 and 1984 film versions of the book. Looks like I'm not done with this story, yet! So, did Orwell predict what might come to pass? He writes about something called Doublethink:
"...
the essential act of the Party is to use conscious deception while retaining the firmness of purpose that goes with complete honesty. To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed..."
This is what President Bush and our government have done with regard to the war in Iraq.

I cannot wait to get into a good book with a good warm story that resolves into a happy (or at least hopeful) ending.

No comments: