Sunday, July 13, 2008

THE CALDER GAME

The Calder Game: by Blue Balliett and illustrated by Brett Helquist - I've just finished Blue Balliett's latest book for pre-teens. Inspired by the art of Alexander Calder, this mystery takes place in Woodstock, England. It's a great story designed to get a young reader thinking in creative ways about art, travel and problem solving. The author always includes a map/diagram of the setting at the beginning of the book, although this map didn't include the main square where the Calder sculpture was placed and then disappeared. Brett Helquist's illustrations are always nifty, evoking the mood of the scenes and characters. I've never been able to find the hidden letters and codes in the illustrations; they must be very buried, or so much in the open that I completely miss them! Here's a quote from the book by a real person named Banksy: "Nobody ever listened to me until they didn't know who I was."

No comments: