Friday, July 4, 2008

Books & Movies

BOOKS
Those Who Save Us: By Jenna Blum Fiction. Yes, yes! Here's one! My favorite book in a long long time. It's unforgettable, especially if you are avid about WWII and holocaust stories. Fiction is my favorite genre, and there is nothing in the world like a book that becomes a part of you.

A Paper Life: If you like a good Hollywood story, this autobiography/memoir by Tatum O'Neal will do the trick. Tatum is a true survivor and I've no doubt about the veracity of every word she writes. Through a rough life, her prevailing attitude is one of innocence and optimism. Her father and her ex-husband could not bring her down. I'm so happy to have read her inspiring story.

Look Me In The Eye - My Life With Asperger's: Non Fiction. Many of us know a serious someone who isn't always easy to talk to or get along with. Often we'll say that the person is shy or awkward if we are nice, or we'll say worse if we are not so nice. Read this book by a brilliant abrupt mechanical guy with an interesting life; his story might help you to be more generous in your thoughts about people. Understanding is enlightenment. Enlightenment leads to a higher civilization. You can quote me on that!

Her Last Death: by Susanna Sonnenburg - Another memoir about a truly disfunctional childhood. Susanna came through it though. There is a certain theme to some of my reading choices!

MOVIES

I'm Not There: I enjoyed this movie. A long time ago, I read a biography of Bob Dylan, and this movie, for me, was the 25 year later continuation of that story. The movie chronicles his life in a roundabout way. Here is a person who has refused to be categorized as a person, artist, musician. He will not be labeled, to the great consternation of the media. He wants to be himself and to express himself, and to let it stand at that. In the film, he is played by no less than six actors, and they are seemingly playing six different people. It's good stuff if you like to think.

Savages: Starring Laura Linney and Phillip Seymore Hoffman, this is a story of the Savage family at a time when the estranged father is widowed and basically unable to care for himself. His unmarried adult children must make arrangements for his care. It's real and tells a story that many many Americans are living through these days.

Dan In Real Life: I love Steve Carrell in The Office, so I try to see all of his movies. This is a particularly sweet one. About a multi-generational family and love.

No comments: