Sunday, July 10, 2016

WHERE THE LIGHT GETS IN * WAR ROOM

Image result for where the light gets in book coverWhere the Light Gets In - Losing My Mother Only to Find Her Again by Kimberly Williams-Paisley - This true story is about a family's experience with the sad and early medical diagnosis of one of their own. Kimberly is married with children, and her smart, confident mother is the victim of early onset dementia. It's a slow and relentless disease, and Kimberly writes with love and compassion. She and her family came to understand that you've got to meet the patient where they are in every situation. Anger, frustration and impatience will not change a thing. It always makes me sad to see anyone being impatient with someone who has memory/brain issues because don't you think the person would be better if they could be?

Image result for war room dvd coverWar Room - This is an incredible movie. It's not about military war and military men strategizing ways for their side to win. The war room here is a room where larger battles are fought, and the elderly woman who leads the way knows how to gather her forces and the best way to prevail against the biggest enemy of all. She mentors a younger professional woman whose life seems to be slowly disintegrating, and the powerful performances by all the actors are more than inspirational. It's an excellent and powerful story.In my own war room (every room in my house) things are coming along. Very slowly, but every day a bit of an accomplishment. I can't wait for the process to be finished. I started on the huge pile of stuff loaded on a lucite cart in the dining room. I want to make cards. I want to make scrapbooks. I want to bead. That's downstairs. Upstairs, I want to sew. And all over the place I want to organize and I want to decorate. Slowly slowly I will get there. 

No comments: