Tuesday, July 19, 2016

STATION ELEVEN * LOVING AMY

Image result for station eleven  book coverStation Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel - Station Eleven is really good. It's the story of a group of characters connected by the most unusual and distressing of circumstances. One of the main characters is only featured for a minute at the beginning of the story, so it's fascinating to me that connections to his life might have been what the story was about were it not set in such an unusual time. I was thinking it's science fiction, but on second thought there is no science fiction here at all. Read it and decide for yourself. 

Image result for loving amy  book coverLoving Amy A Mother's Story by Janis Winehouse - Amy Winehouse was like this flash of music and voice and style - here and gone. But to her family, she was a daughter, granddaughter, sister and cousin. Wayward and wary of authority on the outside, so that she wouldn't have to reveal whatever she was feeling on the inside. What did come out in her music was beautiful and powerful. This biographical memoir fills in some of the blanks about her life. I know my book reviews aren't particularly inspired today, especially since I liked both books. I'm still preoccupied with getting things in order, though. I participated in a neighborhood yard sale on Saturday and moved a lot of stuff out of here. What didn't sell isn't going back in the cupboards, either. Half of it is packed for Goodwill in the car. The other half is annoyingly gracing the dining room table while it waits for me to list it on Craigslist or one of the Facebook virtual yard sales. I also started playing Pokemon Go which is fun and a huge escape from the concerns of life on any given day. It's fun to be outside walking around with a goal, and when I find a particularly darling Pokemon, it's even more fun. I like searching for things to collect, and the Pokemon don't take up any room! (Just time.) Today I'm going to clear off the dining room table if it's the last thing I do. And it might be. 

No comments: