Sunday, July 31, 2016

We Were Liars * Dare to Disappoint * The Story of a New Name

url.jpgWe Were Liars by e. lockhart - This is what teens are reading and I might have loved it myself back in the day. In the nowaday, not so much! The premise of a family island and the map and family tree helped launch me into the story, but I didn't love the narrator. One thing I will say though, is that if you hang in there to the end, you will get a big surprise.


url.jpgDare to Disappoint Growing Up in Turkey by Ozge Samanci - My second graphic memoir and I hope to discover more. Ozge is delightful and thoughtful and observant of her family as she grows up in a society that is sometimes a double edged sword. She persevered and I love where she ended up. This is as special as Persepolis. 

url.jpgThe Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante - Book Two of the Neopolitan Novels. I'm reading these in order because supposedly Book Four is wonderful. We'll see. Our narrator is growing up, but still annoying to me. Will she break out of her provincial way of thinking? What will become of her old friend from the neighborhood? Will I care? These are the questions.

I'm writing today through the Blogger app on my iPad. If I can successfully get pictures if the books onto this post, it may mean the end of desktop computers for me. Which will mean that desk upstairs away, and I could operate with one desk rather than two. Why can't I just do that now? I don't know.
It's a beautiful summer Sunday with the house to myself, kitchen cleaned up and windows open. Desk full of work, lists like you wouldn't believe and all I want to do is play Pokemon Go.  

No comments: