Monday, July 4, 2016

LILAC GIRLS

Image result for lilac girls coverLilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly - Everything about Lilac Girls resonates with the exception of the title. I think there might have been a small thread of the lilac plant woven through the book, but I often cruise by the background noise so that I can fully be in the story and conversations. Three women experience the World War II years in vastly different ways. Two of the women are sympathetic and relatable while the third is a wild card. Whoever chose the cover didn't read the book, and at one point there is a reference to the squiggle on a Hostess chocolate cupcake. Come to find out with a simple google search that the squiggle didn't come into being until the 1950s, although it was referenced in the 1940s. At the end of the novel, we find that the three women were real people and that this is historical fiction. Not sure whether that makes the Hostess thing OK for everyone else, but not for me. The best part of the story is getting to know each woman and seeing her change throughout the years. I loved it and loved reading it despite my little foibles which I own for my contrary self. I don't know why it's not titled The Rabbits.  On another note, I finished sewing the cushion covers for the porch sofa and loveseat. I've loved the fabric ever since I bought it, and am so happy to see it finally put to use. I cleared off the dining room table, but all around the edges of the rooms are piles, and boxes and extra furniture that are not being functional in any way. Each item seems to have promise, though, much like the porch cushion fabric, so I keep it all with the hope that I wlll eventually get to it. I would love to have the theme of organizing and minimizing become the theme of relaxation and improvement, and therefore a blank slate for creativity. I continue on.It's kind of about not knowing what to do first and needing a can-do assistant. I have two great printers sitting in my office. The set up one has no ink. It's wireless and I have it configured with my computer, but we're not sure it works. The second one is on the floor, recently acquired from a friend's daughter as a random gift, so don't know if it's wireless, if it works, or if it has ink. I could look at it and find out, but it's on the floor. And then Steve gave me a hard time about transporting it, suggesting that I did something wrong even though I've transported printers forever with no problems. Hey everybody, don't criticize and question sensitive people. How about don't criticize and question non-sensitive people either. Just think before you speak and figure out a way to word it nicely and respectfully. Damn, this thing takes a lot out of me. Anyway, if I had a can-do assistant, that person could figure out the entire printer thing for me and from there who knows what could get done. And the can-do assistant wouldn't question my ideas - suggestions could be made, but if I say no, then the can-do assistant would drop it. Alright, let's have this be done. Go read Lilac Girls everyone. World War II novels are hot right now.

No comments: