Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD

A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan - During all the time I wasn't reading this since it was first recommended to me, I wondered....what is the Goon Squad? What if I don't like it when so many did? What if the Goon Squad is scary and unpleasant? Do I really want to read about it? It turns out that the Goon Squad visits all of us no matter what we do, and although it can be scary and unpleasant, it's OK. These stories are about a woman named Sasha, a man named Benny Salazar, and a man named Lou, and the things that happened to them during memorable and not so memorable parts of their lives, as told by people who know them. At first I could put it down, but then I couldn't. I love a good book ending, and A Visit From the Goon Squad has a good ending. I like that it's a New York story, a San Francisco story and and L.A. story. There is a lot of ground covered here. I'd put it next on your list.

No comments: