Thursday, December 22, 2011

HERE COMES TROUBLE * HALL PASS

Here Comes Trouble Stories From My Life by Michael Moore - The thing about Michael Moore is that in anticipation, I never want to see a documentary, even an award winning angry, funny, sad one, and Michael has sort of a monotone, and although he's interesting, he isn't appealing in the regular sense. He is appealing in the other sense, though, whatever that is, and so just because there is no anticipation, never seems to mean that I won't like, or even enjoy, (as in the case of Here Comes Trouble), his work. With that, I'll add that this is a great book, full of interesting self-aggrandizing yet self-deprecating stories. It's funny, it's maddening, and its even sad. And it's all true. Michael Moore is always always questioning, and he always did. It's what makes him so good. He's not afraid to ask the questions that others don't want to ask, or don't want to be asked. As a person who questions but often doesn't speak up, I thank him for staying with it, and I'm happy for him that he's become so successful.

Hall Pass - My raunchy-comedy-movie-loving-15 year old son said "I can save you some time there. I saw Hall Pass, it's not that good, just erase it and don't bother watching". I'm so happy that I didn't listen to him. This is a really funny movie for those of us who are past the teen years. Owen Wilson always adds something sweet to a movie no matter how extreme, and this one hits that note along with lots of laughs. Owen's 40 ish married-with-children character and his married friend are always ogling women and being juvenile, obnoxious and embarrassing to their wives. So Owen's wife gives him a "Hall Pass". She'll take the children and get out of town, and he can have a week to not be married and do whatever he wants. If you want to laugh at a mindless comedy and don't mind some off color stuff, this nutty movie is for you.

1 comment:

Portugal said...

This book is great for veterans and first time readers of Michael Moore creations! The book goes through a great era of time and explains his life through very controversial issues and it is hilarious! The Best Book i have read so far!