Thursday, December 16, 2010

THE VIOLIN OF AUSCHWITZ

The Violin of Auschwitz by Maria Angels Anglada - This is a really good book. If you are a violinist or luthier, this story might hold a special interest for you. (Did you know that a luthier is someone who makes and repairs stringed instruments?) It's a small novel, but a big story....not overly dramatic (it was originally written in Catalan, and this is a translation) but very engaging. The story of a woman named Regina, a man named Daniel and a man named Bronislaw. I got up early this morning to finish the book, then the phone rang, so I went into my office to talk to Susan and check my email, Scrabble, etc, and when I'd finally finished that so that I could go back and read the book, I was freezing. Freezing. So I crept under Peter's covers since he was at school and his room is the warmest, and as I was reading, I thought about what it would have been like to be a prisoner in a concentration camp. I think I could have handled the lack of food, the rude treatment, maybe even some amount of torture. The thing that would have gotten me would have been the cold. All each person has to do in the world is to never hurt any other person, and we'd be so much better.

No comments: