Thursday, April 1, 2010

JUST KIDS

The weather has been beautiful, so if we couldn't go anywhere for spring break, this wasn't a bad break. It's sunny and in the 70s outside as I type this. My typing fingers are the only part of me that isn't hurting. I was out in the yard yesterday doing the constant spring clean up that is required in our yard for the entire summer. Hmm....maybe this will be the year that I hire a helper. It's always so promising out there before the trees g grow their leaves. Sunny warm spaces all over the yard. In 6 weeks, we'll be back to our shady garden conditions. Last year's tree trimming barely made a dent.

Anyway.

Just Kids by Patti Smith is about the artist Patti Smith's life and relationship with the artist Robert Mapplethorpe. It's a loving memoir, but it's also about a history of a time in New York when art was changing, and there was still new art to be made. Sometimes it seems like that might not be true anymore. and it's a big question which just morphed off my comments on a beautiful book.
This is not for someone who's judgmental. You'll probably just upset yourself.

If you're judgmental and not an artist, don't read this book.
If you're non-judgmental and not an artist, you might enjoy it.
If you're judgmental and an artist, you might not enjoy it.
If you're non-judgmental and an artist, put it on your reading list.

I'm off to bead group to finish that pearl knotted bracelet that I had to take apart last week because it was one pearl too long. I'm going to take my salad, perfect and cool on a summery spring day.

No comments: